Thursday, July 21, 2011

A SF4 Player's Quest to Learn Third Strike.

My Name is KG, and I play SF4. It is the first street fighter game I have played seriously. I am one of many who missed 3rd strike completely, and got back into street fighter in 2009 when Street fighter 4 hit consoles. In the 2 years I've been playing, I learned many things like spacing, punishing, zoning, meter management and mixing up one's offensive approach. I took my skills playing Akuma to some tournaments in the Philadelphia area, including GVN Summer Jam 2010. I didn't do very well, but I was able to win some matches. I like to think I represent a population of SF4 players who got serious about the game, while still working full time or going to college.


After hearing of 3rd Strike Online Edition I recently started playing Third Strike on GGPO, and bought a copy of the Anniversary Collection for xbox. Needless to say, I am ready to learn 3rd strike and take a break from SF4. I plan on using 3rd Strike Online edition as a training ground, and regularly attend 3rd strike tournaments in my area.

This blog is intended to chronicle my progress as I learn how to 3rd strike. I think I will use Ken. I like shotos!
I'm going to post things i Learn about certain matchups, executional practice, and general experience along the way. I expect the road to be long and tough, but it's all good!


My first goal is to win a GGPO match by blocking/teching, and punishing with low forward super.
For now this will be a text blog but once Online Edition drops, I will be doing video analysis of my matches.  




Next step is practicing hit confirms. 

Is anyone else trying to seriously learn 3rd strike after only playing SF4?


Good starting places for the aspiring 3rd strike player are:
C-Royd's videos: C-Royd Teaches 3rd Strike.
Thongboy's "3rd Strike Basics"
Metric and LostintheFlurry's Third Strike Concepts: Anti-Air.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment